Cytomel T-3 Information
Purpose Active Ingredient
thyroid hormone replacement & Weight Loss liothyronine sodium
Cytomel tabs, Cytomel, T3 Cytomel, Triiodthyronine 50, T3 Cytomix, Trijodthyr. 50, Tertroxin, Thyrotardin, Thybon-Forte, Tiromel, Trijodthyr. Leo (ES), Neo-Tiroimade, Cynomel, Liothyronin, Tijodthyronin, Ro-Thyronine, Trijod. Sanabo, Linomel, T3 (Israel, GR), Cyronine, Euthroid, Ti-Tre, Tironina, Trijodthyronin.
Cytomel is used for:
The treatment of the low thyroid functions. It is also used for the treatment and the prevention of different kinds of goiters, as an aid for the diagnosis of certain particular thyroid conditions or for the treatment of patients who are allergic to the other kinds of thyroid medicines. It can also be used for other conditions related to thyroid as per the directions of your doctor.
The Cytomel is a thyroid hormone. The process that it follows is that it replaces or supplements the natural thyroid hormones within the body.
Do NOT use Cytomel in case of:
- You are allergic to any compositions of Cytomel.
- You have had previous history of a heart attack or you suffer from untreated thyrotoxicosis (the thyrotoxicosis is a condition that is characterised by chest pain, increase in the heart beats, pounding of the chest, excessive sweating, nervousness and heat intolerance.)
- You have certain untreated adrenalin gland issues.
- If any of the above conditions bother you, contact your doctor or health care provider immediately.
Before using Cytomel:
There are some medical conditions that might react with Cytomel. Consult your doctor or the pharmacist if you have any of the medical conditions of the below mentioned types:
- If you are already pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breast feeding your baby.
- If you are taking any of the prescribed or non-prescribed medicine, herbal preparations or any kind of dietary supplements.
- If you have any kind of allergy to foods, medicines or other substances.
- If you are planning for a surgery.
- If you are taking blood thinners.
- If you have any kind of heart diseases, chest pain or angina, diabetes, high blood pressure, an overactive thyroid, a long term condition of underactive thyroid or myxedema- a condition characterised by increased heart rate, chest pain, pounding in the chest, excessive sweating, nervousness and heat intolerance.
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Cytomel. In case you are taking any kind of medicines make sure to inform this to your doctor, especially of any of the following:
- Birth control pills or estrogen since these decreases the effect of cytomel.
- Anticoagulants like warfarin, digitalis glycosides like digoxin, ketamine, tricyclic anti depressants like amitriptyline or vasopressors like norepinephrine increases the risks of side effects.
- Insulin for diabetes or any other medicines to treat diabetes since these medicines do not work up to their complete potential under the influence of the Cytomel.
This is not the complete list of all the interactions of Cytomel that might occur with other medicines. Always ask your doctor before consuming Cytomel with other medicines. Always check with your doctor before you start, stop of change the dosage of any other medicines while consuming Cytomel.
Guidelines for using Cytomel:
- Consume Cytomel as per the instructions of your physician. Check the label on the medicine for the exact dosage instructions.
- Take Cytomel by mouth with or without food.
- Cytomel works as per its complete potential if it is taken at the same time each day.
- Take Cytomel at least at a gap of 4 hours from the calcium salts, cholestyramine or sucralfate.
- A continuous usage of the Cytomel for a few weeks might be necessary to relieve you from the suffering conditions.
- In case you miss a dosage of Cytomel, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dosage and go back to the regular schedule of dosage. Never take two doses at once.
- In case you have any queries about the usage of Cytomel, make sure to consult with your physician.
Important safety details:
- Consult with your doctor if you are experiencing any kind of trembling or shaking of hands, difficulty in sleeping, nervousness, change in appetite, headache, diarrhoea increased sweating, weight loss, increased sensitivity of heat, increased heart beat, shortness of breath, chest pain. All these or any of these symptoms might mean that you need to adjust your doses. Do not try to adjust the dosages by your own and neither stop taking Cytomel by yourself. Consult with tour doctor regarding the same.
- Cytomel is to be taken for the entire life except in some cases like the temporary low thyroid activity that is associated with the thyroid inflammation or in case you are taking the trial doses of Cytomel.
- If you are also taking blood thinners apart from consuming the Cytomel, lab tests are required in order to determine the adjustment of doses in case of the blood thinners.
- In case you need any other medical attention related to general medicine, dental care, surgery or other emergency care, mention to your doctor that you are under the medication of Cytomel.
- Cytomel might affect the blood sugar of the diabetes patients. Always check the blood sugar levels on a regular basis. Always consult your doctor prior to the change of dosage in the diabetes medicines.
- Lab tests like the thyroid functioning tests might need to be performed while you are consuming the Cytomel. These tests are required for monitoring the condition or for checking the side effects. Make sure to keep all the appointments with the lab and the doctor.
- Use Cytomel with extreme cautions in case of the ELDERLY persons, since they are more sensitive to the effects of Cytomel.
- CHILDREN too might experience a partial loss of hair during the first few months of consuming the Cytomel. This effect is however a temporary one.
- Still speak to your doctors in case of any concerns related to the doses of Cytomel in children.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST FEEDING: if you are pregnant, get in touch with your doctor. You must discuss all the benefits and the risks involved in the usage of Cytomel while you are pregnant. Cytomel is found in breast milk. In case you are already breast feeding or will be doing that soon while also using Cytomel, check with your physician. Discuss any possible risks that can happen to the baby.
Possible side effects:
All kinds of medicines have their individual side effects, but there are many people who have no or minor side effects. Always check with your doctor if any of these COMMON side effects bother you or are causing trouble to you:
In case of partial or temporary hair loss in children, contact the medical practitioner immediately if any of these SEVERE side effects bother you: Severe kind of allergies like rashes, hives, difficulty in breathing, itching, tightness in the chest, swelling of the face, lips, mouth or tongue, changes in the appetite, changes in the menstrual period, changes in weight, chest pain, diarrhoea, difficulty in breathing, excessive sweating, headache, inability to tolerate the extreme weather conditions like a hot room etc, the increase in the heart rate, irregular heartbeat, leg cramps, pounding on the chests, nervousness, tremor, shortness of breath, vomiting or tremor.
This is not a complete list of all the side effects that might occur with the consumption of Cytomel. If you have any queries about the possible side effects, please get in touch with your physician or the health care provider. Call your doctor for the medical advice related to the side effects of Cytomel.
In case of an OVERDOSE:
Get in touch with your local poison control centre or the emergency services immediately. Some of the symptoms of the overdose can be diarrhoea, fast heart rate, stomach cramps, nervousness, trouble sleeping, weight loss etc.
Proper storage of Cytomel:
Always store Cytomel at the room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F, i.e 15 and 30 degrees C. Store it away from the moisture, heat and light. ZDo not store it in the bath room; keep Cytomel out of the reach of pets and children.
- In case of any queries related to Cytomel, please speak to your doctor, pharmacist or your health care provider.
- Cytomel is to be used only with the help of a prescription. Do not ever share it with other people.
- In case none of your symptoms improve or in case they become worse, make sure to check in with your doctor.
- This information is just a summary. It does not have all the information about Cytomel. If you have any queries about the medicine that you are consuming, or would like to gather more information about the product, get in touch with your doctor, pharmacist or the health care provider.