Ephedrine – Efedrin Arsan, Tedral SA Information
Purpose Active Ingredient
treating asthma and colds & Weight Loss ephedrine hydrochloride
Efedrin Arsan, Ephedra, Ephedrine HCL, Ceepa, Dymetadrine, Efedrin, Efedrin DAK, Efedrina Level, Eph. HCI-Antos, Ephedrin Spofa, Ephedrini HCL, Ephedrinum HCL, Ephedroides 3, Lardet Expectorant, Mudrane GG, Perspiran N, Perspiran N prot., Pyrralan Expectorant, Quadrinal, Quibron Plus, Rhinoguttae, Stopastheme, Tedral-SA, T-E-P, Theodrine, Theopheyllin, Vencipon N.
Ephedrine is used for:
The drug is basically used in the treatment of relieving congestion due to cold, flu, hay fever or some kind of allergic reactions. It is also useful in cases of bronchial asthma to provide short term relieve to chest tightness, falling short of breath and wheezing. Usages for other conditions are also noted sometimes.
Ephedrine acts as bronchodiltor and decongestant. It helps in reducing swelling and constriction of blood vessel in nose passages and hence helps in breathing more easily.
Do NOT use Ephedrine if:
- You have allergic tendencies to any ingredient present in Ephedrine.
- If within a fortnight you have taken monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) or furazolidone.
- If you have high blood pressure, severe heart disease, rapid pulse rate or acute heart blood vessel problem.
Report to your doctor if you have any of the above mentioned problems.
Before using Ephedrine:
- Some medical situations may interfere with the drug Ephedrine. Report each and every of these situations that you are facing at that time.
- If you are a pregnant mother or planning to be one or if you are a lactating mother.
- If you are taking any medicines with or without prescriptions or taking some health supplements or herbal medication.
- If you have allergies to any kind of food medicines or substance.
- If you have medical history of high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, glaucoma, prostrate problems, seizures, thyroid, asthma, blood vessel problem, adrenal gland trouble or stroke.
Some medicines tend to interfere in the action of Ephedrine. Any of the following can be a cause:
- Rauwolfia derivatives (eg, reserpine). This medicine sharply reduces the Ephedrine action.
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), indomethacin, methyldopa, cocaine, furazolidone, MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), oxytocic medicines (eg, oxytocin), tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) or rauwolfia derivatives (eg, reserpine). These medicines increase Ephedrine action.
- Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, entacapone), bromocriptine, digoxin, or droxidopa drugs’ side effects may rise due to Ephedrine drug.
- Reserpine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, Guanadrel or guanethidine drugs’ effectiveness may get hampered due to the interference of Ephedrine.
This is not an exhaustive list of drugs that may interfere with Ephedrine. For more information on this drug consult the doctor concerned. Take the advice of the doctor concerned before starting, stopping or changing the course of this medicine.
How to use Ephedrine:
- Ephedrine should be used as prescribed by your doctor. See the label to know the amount of your dosage.
- Ephedrine can be taken in empty stomach or with food. In case you are having a stomach problem prefer having the medicine with some food to reduce the problem.
- Missed a dose of Ephedrine. Take it as soon as you remember. But do not take 2 doses at one time. Skip the earlier dose if it is almost time to take the next dose.
- If you have any queries about Ephedrine feel free to contact your physician.
Important safety information:
- Feeling dizziness is a common symptom of Ephedrine. Do not drive or operate any critical machinery at this time. Take some time to know how you react to Ephedrine. Otherwise the result can be dangerous. Ephedrine along with alcohol or any other medicine or alone can produce a lot of light-headedness in the user.
- If the side effects do not improve within 7 days or you start having high fever, contact your physician immediately.
- If you suffer from sleeplessness contact y6our doctor immediately.
- Diet supplements or appetite control medications should not be performed while taking Ephedrine.
- Ephedrine has ephedrine. If you have to begin with a new drug check the ingredients to see whether the new drug contain ephedrine if so, or if you are not certain contact the doctor concerned.
- Diabetes patients have to be more cautious because Ephedrine may affect blood sugar level. Ask your physician to regulate the dose of the diabetes medicine accordingly.
- Elder users may be more sensitive to Ephedrine. Use the drug carefully.
- With children Ephedrine should be used with caution. The effectiveness or safety with children is still not conformed.
- Pregnant and lactating mothers need to be extra careful. It is still not conformed that Ephedrine can harm fetus or gets excreted with breast milk. So check with your doctor the risks and benefits of Ephedrine medicines during these crucial phases of motherhood.
Possible side effects of Ephedrine:
All medicines have some or other side effects but it is not mandatory that that the user have to face all or any of these side effects. Consult with the concerned doctor if you face any of the below side effects:
Giddiness, nausea, stomach problem, restlessness, insomnia, nervousness and headache.
Certain acute effects require instant medical treatment:
Extreme allergic reactions like rashes, difficulty in breathing, hives, chest tightness, swelling n the mouth area, tongue and lips, problem in passing urine.
The list of side effects is not exhaustive. There may be many other side effects. Consult your doctor to know more about them.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Immediately contact poison control center or rush to the emergency ward of a nearest hospital. Overdose symptoms are confusion, hallucination, and rapid rise or fall in heartbeat, seizures, breathing trouble.
Proper storage of Ephedrine:
The best temperature to store Ephedrine is within 59 to 77 degree F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture and light. Keep away from pets and small children.
- Regarding any query about Ephedrine consult the doctor.
- Ephedrine should only be taken if prescribed by a doctor. Without prescription usage is risky.
- If your condition degrades check with the doctor who has prescribed this drug.
- This information is not exhaustive. If you want to know further about Ephedrine drug contact your physician or your pharmacist.