Purpose Active Ingredient
Weight Loss sibutramine hydrochloride
Reductil, Meridia, Sibutramine, Sibutramine hydrochloride, Sibutramine HCl.
Reductil is taken for
Treatment of obesity. This medicine must be taken with a low-calorie diet. The Reductil is an aid for diet. It appears to work with the help of regulation of the chemicals in the appetite centre in the brain in order to cause a temporary reduction in the craving for food or in hunger.
Do NOT use Reductil if
- In case of any allergies to the composition of Reductil.
- If you have an eating disorder like bulimia or anorexia, severe or uncontrolled high pressure, increased blood pressure in the lungs, hardening of the arteries, or if you have a previous history of stroke.
- In case you suffer from severe liver or kidney troubles or if you undergo dialysis for severe kidney issues.
- If you are taking the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) like fluoxetine, which is another type of appetite suppressant or in case you are consuming the monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAO) inhibitor like phenelzine in the last 2 weeks.
Contact with your physician immediately if any of the above mentioned points apply to you.
Before using Reductil
There are some medical conditions that might interact with Reductil. Speak to your doctor if you have any of the medical conditions, especially the one’s mentioned below:
- If you are pregnant, planning to be pregnant soon or are breast feeding a baby.
- In case you are consuming a prescribed or a non-prescribed medicine, herbal preparation or any kind of dietary supplement.
- If you have any kind of allergies to certain food, medicines or other substances.
- In case you suffer from kidney or liver ailments, heart disease, increased bleeding risk, narrow angle glaucoma or seizures.
Some of the MEDICINES MIGHT INTERACT with Reductil. Speak to your health care provider in case you are taking any other medicines along with the Reductil, especially the following:
- Dihydrogotamine, imidazoles like itraconazole, ketoconazole etc, lithium, MAO inhibitors like Phenelzine, narcotic analgesics like codeine, SSRIs like fluoxetine, sumatriptan, or tryptophan since they might increase the risk of the reductil’s side effects and also increase the risk of restlessness, excessive sweating, fever, twitching and seizures that can sometimes very rarely be life threatnening.
- Cyclosporine since the risk of the side effects for Cyclosporine can increase by Reductil.
This may not be a complete list of all the interaction that occurs with Reductil. Speak to your doctor in case the reductil interacts with other medicines that you intake. Speak to your doctor before you start, stop or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Reductil
- Use reductil as per the instruction from your doctor. Check the label of the medicine to figure out the exact dosage instructions.
- An extra leaflet for the patient is available with Reductil. Speak to your health care provider if you have any questions about this information.
- Take reductil orally with or without food.
- Unless directed by your doctor, reductil must be taken in the morning to avoid issues with sleep.
- In case you unintentionally skip a dose of reductil, skip the missed odse and get back to the regular schedule of doses. Do not take any two doses at once.
Ask your doctor any questions that you might have regarding the usage of Reductil.
Important safety information
- Reductil might cause dizziness. These effects might worsen if you take it with other medicines or alcohol. Use reductil with lots of caution. Do not drive or perform any other possibly unsafe tasks unless you are sure of the reaction that reductil might have on you.
- Do not consume alcohol or use any other medicine that might cause drowsiness like muscle relaxers, sleeping aides while you are also consuming reductil since it may add to their side effects. Ask your health care provider if you have any queries about which medicines might cause drowsiness.
- Changes in dietary habits and great exercise are some of the important parts of a successful weight loss program. To maintain your ideal weight, make sure to continue with them for the entire life. Always follow the guidelines that are provided to you by the dietician or your doctor.
- Lab tests like blood pressure, pulse monitoring and weight monitoring might be performed while you are consuming reductil. These tests are mainly used to monitor your condition and also check for the side effects. Always be sure to keep the appointments with your doctor and the lab.
- Use an effective birth control method while you are under the influence of reductil.
- Reductil should not be used by CHILDREN or ADOLESCENTS; the effectiveness and the safety measures in children and the adolescents have not been confirmed yet.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST FEEDING: if you become pregnant, while using reductil, get in touch with your doctor. You must discuss all the benefits and the risks of using reductil while being pregnant. It is not yet known whether reductil is available in breast milk. So avoid breast feed while using Reductil.
- When taken for a prolonged period of time, or at higher doses, some recipients develop a craving for continuous usage of reductil. This is referred to as addiction or DEPENDENCE.
Possible Reductil side effects
All medicines are prone to cause side-effects but many recipients show no or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON effects persist or bothers you:
Back pain; constipation; dry mouth; dizziness; headache, flu like symptoms, increased cough; indigestion; increased or decreased appetite; migraine; joint pain; nasal inflammation; nausea; nervousness; sinus inflammation; painful menstruation; weakness; sore throat; sleeplessness; upset stomach etc.
Seek medical attention immediately in case any of these SEVERE side effects bother you:
Severe allergies like itching, rashes, hives, tightness in the chest, difficulty in breathing, swelling of mouth, lips, face or tongue, anxiety, agitation, change in the urine amount, clumsiness, chest pain, depression, confusion, excitement, disorientation, fainting, eye pain, fast or irregular heartbeat, high body temperature, increased sweating, large and unchanging pupils, loss of consciousness, one sided weakness, seizures, restlessness, shivering, shortness of breath, stomach pain, swelling of feet, ankles or legs, unusual bruising, tremors, bleeding, vision troubles, vomiting and weaknesses.
This is not the complete guide to all the side effects that might occur. If you have any queries about the side effects, get in touch with your doctor. Call him to get the required medical advice about the possible side effects.
If OVERDOSE is suspected
Get in touch with your local poison control centre or the emergency services easily.
Proper storage of Reductil
Store reductil in an air tight container at room temperature, which is at around 77 degrees F or 25 degrees C. Store it away from the moisture, heat and light. Do not store it in the bathroom. Keep it away from the reach of children and pets.
General Reductil information
If you have any queries about reductil, please get in touch with your doctor. Reductil is to be consumed only by the instruction of the doctor. Do not share it with other people. In case your symptoms become worse or do not improve, check with your doctor immediately.
This information serves the purpose of summary only. It does not contain all the information about reductil. In case of any queries about the medicine that you are using along with reductil or any other information, check with your health care provider, doctor or pharmacist.